Careers at BGCSCC
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Youth Development Specialist – Downtown or Aliberti Clubhouse in Scotts Valley
- Head Lifeguard – Downtown Clubhouse
Youth Development Specialist
Status: Part Time
Responsible for overseeing the delivery of a broad range of programs within a designated Clubhouse, such as Education, Social Recreation, Creative Arts, and Physical Education. Plan, develop, oversee implementation and supervise programs and program staff.
Prepare Youth for Success
- Plan and oversee the administration of designated Clubhouse programs and activities that support Youth Development outcomes:
- Create an environment that facilitates the achievement of Youth Development Outcomes.
- Promote safety of members and quality in programs at all times.
- Ensure that members are encouraged to participate in a variety of program areas/activities and receive instruction and constructive feedback to develop skills in program areas.
- Demonstrate leadership to assure conduct, safety and development of members.
- Establish and maintain Clubhouse program goals and settings that insure the health and safety of members. Ensure that site staff understand and effectively communicate standards or program; that they ensure program areas are safe, well ventilated and well lit; and that Club equipment is maintained in good working condition.
- Ensure the evaluation of Club programs on a continual basis and ensures programs/activities respond to member needs and address their gender and cultural diversity.
- Control Clubhouse program and activity expenditures within approved budget.
- Allocate and monitor work assigned to program volunteers and part time staff, providing ongoing feedback and regular appraisal. Identify and support training and development opportunities for assigned volunteers and staff.
- Oversee proper record keeping and reporting including activities and events conducted breakdowns of daily participation figures (COMET database), notable achievements and any problems/issues.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Increase visibility of Club programs via posting of daily schedule, announcements of upcoming events and the dissemination of timely information for the development of advertising and promotion through mailings, flyers and media releases.
- May oversee special programs and/or events (i.e. Keystone, Youth of the Year awards, etc) and/or participate in the implementation of other unit activities as necessary.
- May consult with parents concerning member and branch issues.
- May handle deposits and banking transactions.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- A minimum of five years work experience in a Boys & Girls Club or similar organization planning and supervising activities based on the developmental needs of young people.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Group leadership skills, including an understanding of group dynamics.
- Demonstrated organizational, staff and project management abilities.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Head Lifeguard – Downtown Clubhouse
Salary: $16 – $18/hour
Supervisor: Downtown Program Director
Status: Part Time
The Head Lifeguard plans, implements, supervises and evaluates the aquatics program. Responsible for maintaining safe and clean pool, locker rooms, pool equipment and supplies and chemicals storage area.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Possess an understanding of how to work with youth, sensitivity to their needs and an understanding of their concerns.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and meet the general requirements for any B&GCSCC staff position.
- Possess a practical knowledge and experience to implement a variety of aquatics programs, including rules and regulations of USA Swim, care and use of equipment and how to teach swim lessons.
- Passed WSI training and/or Lifeguard training. (Must have current cert.)
- Mandatory CPR and First Aid Certifications.
- Enforce all Club rules.
- Daily program planning and scheduling.
- Swim lessons – lesson plans, instruction, evaluations and promotions to next level.
- Swim Team – scheduling team practices, skills development, off site meets.
- Pool maintenance – maintain chemical balance, pool and deck, as well as locker rooms
- Purchasing supplies and equipment for aquatics program.
- Greet and assist visitors, guests, parents and members immediately upon entry into the Club.
- Encourage all youth entering the building to sign-in and to actively participate in activities.
- Under supervision, execute a variety of pre-planned activities, classes and workshops.
- Share knowledge of all activities and programs in the Club. Answer parental inquiries and stimulate interest in all programs offered.
- Provide leadership and guidance to members.
- Maintain a friendly, cooperative relationship with the youth, parents and volunteers.
- Maintain records and statistical information on youth services.
- Cooperate with other staff members.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Supervision: Recruit, train and supervise assigned program staff and volunteers.
- Internal: Maintain close, daily contact with Club staff, members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines/instructions and make recommendations.
- External: Maintain contact with local community groups, schools, members’ parents and others to assist in promotion of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Santa Cruz County programs.